Medicare can be an intimidating topic, whether you are of age and eligible to enroll, or your loved one is looking to enroll. You can find information below about eligibility and enrollment periods, as well as our contact information.
When am I eligible for Medicare?
You are eligible for Original Medicare Parts A & B if you’re at least 65 years old, or if you are under age 65 and you qualify due to a disability or other special situation. You must also be a U.S. Citizen or a legal resident who has lived in he U.S. for at least 5 consecutive years.
When can I enroll?
Initial Enrollment Period
– When you turn 65 or otherwise become eligible for Medicare, you’ll have your Initial Enrollment Period. This period begins three months before and ends three months after the month of your 65th birthday (a seven month span). If you have an employer or plan-sponsored coverage when you first become eligible, you won’t need to enroll until you retire or otherwise lose that coverage. Prescription drug coverage (Part D) must be creditable or you may be subject to a late-enrollment penalty when you enroll in a plan with Part D benefits (typically 63 days to take out a drug plan or you will be charged with a late enrollment penalty).
Open Enrollment or Annual Enrollment Period (AEP), October 15th– December 7th
– During this period you can drop, add, or switch your Medicare plan coverage.
Special Election Period
– You may also qualify for a Special Election Period. Depending on certain circumstances, you may be able to enroll in a Medicare plan outside of the Initial Enrollment Period or Open Enrollment time frames. You may qualify for a Special Election Period if you:
· Retire and lose your employer coverage
· Move out of the plan’s service area
· Receive assistance from the state
· Have been diagnosed with certain qualifying disabilities or chronic health conditions
Special Needs Plans have other eligibility requirements.
Danielle Marx at Putnam Record Insurance Agency is your local expert in this field. She can give you personalized service and help you tailor your coverage to what fits your situation best.
If you would like to schedule a personal appointment with Danielle to learn more about Medicare, you can call 716-366-2744 or email: Danielle@putnamrecord.com.