*Open Enrollment ends December 7th!
Medicare can be an intimidating topic, whether you are of age and eligible to enroll, or your loved one is looking to enroll. You can find information below about eligibility and enrollment periods, as well as our contact information.
When am I eligible for Medicare?
You are eligible for Original Medicare Parts A & B if you’re at least 65 years old, or if you are under age 65 and you qualify due to a disability or other special situation. You must also be a U.S. Citizen or a legal resident who has lived in he U.S. for at least 5 consecutive years.
When can I enroll?
Initial Enrollment Period
– When you turn 65 or otherwise become eligible for Medicare, you’ll have your Initial Enrollment Period. This period begins three months before and ends three months after the month of your 65th birthday (a seven month span). If you have an employer or plan-sponsored coverage when you first become eligible, you won’t need to enroll until you retire or otherwise lose that coverage. Prescription drug coverage (Part D) must be creditable or you may be subject to a late-enrollment penalty when you enroll in a plan with Part D benefits (typically 63 days to take out a drug plan or you will be charged with a late enrollment penalty).
Open Enrollment, October 15th– December 7th
– During this period you can drop, add, or switch your Medicare plan coverage. You might also see this called the Annual Enrollment Period.
Special Election Period
– You may also qualify for a Special Election Period. Depending on certain circumstances, you may be able to enroll in a Medicare plan outside of the Initial Enrollment Period or Open Enrollment time frames. You may qualify for a Special Election Period if you:
· Retire and lose your employer coverage
· Move out of the plan’s service area
· Receive assistance from the state
· Have been diagnosed with certain qualifying disabilities or chronic health conditions
Special Needs Plans have other eligibility requirements.
Doug Mahany and Danielle Marx at the Putnam Record Insurance Agency are your local experts in this field. They will give you personalized service and help you tailor your coverage to what fits you best in your situation. They make house calls, so you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your own home.
If you would like to schedule a personal appointment with Doug or Danielle to learn more about Medicare or find out about community meetings that are in your area you can call 716-366-2744 or email: Doug@putnamrecord.com or Danielle@putnamrecord.com.